Saturday, October 1, 2011

I know

 Late night phone calls are usually not the happiest of news.
We got one last night.
A sweet 91 year old lady moved to heaven last night.
Am sure she was greeted by her charming Charlie.
One of her daughters is 'framily' to me.

This delight in our life, was a substitute grandma for my kids when we lived 16 hours away from our birth ones.
She watched our kids, loved on them and delighted in them. We celebrated many Easter Sunday dinners with her, and other fun times.
I enjoyed staying at their farm home.
I was so far from my folks' farm so this filled an emotional need.
We stayed upstairs in bedrooms that have eves, nooks and crannies filled with curiosities.
The sheets were worn cotton soft and smelled of sunshine.
When it was cooler the weight of the blankets piled high kept us warm.
Their work shop smelled just like my daddy's, filling the lonely places when I was homesick for my land of oz.
As you can tell, not only were we loved on by this sweet couple, but just being on their farm gave me comfort.
She was a small white haired cutie. Typical grandma in size and shape. Soft enough for squeezing and strong enough for correcting.

I am going out to help celebrate her life with her family.
I know I shall laugh and cry. I'll probably grieve for not only her, but her dashing hubby, who's funeral I didn't get to attend.

I called my sweet framily-friend this morning to say I was looking in to flights. We cried and she said "do you know what this means to me?"

I know.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm so glad for your faith. 91, what a wonderfully long life. :)

    ReplyDelete