Sunday, June 17, 2012

thanks Dad

I wrote this and gave it to my dad in June 2010

Dad,
I’ve learned many things from you in my 52 years.
How to be silly, 

all those noises you make with your mouth,
and the silly songs. 
Such as, “Be kind to your web footed friend,” 
“ hair on a duck’s back..” 
and “ I went to the animal fair”.

I learned how to work, whether at home or in the field. 

And how to still drive a tractor even when a spray plane is coming right at you!

I learned how to play, 

family vacations and A & W mama burgers,
 trips to Fort Supply, 
sledding behind the tractor, and more. ( But I still can’t squirt water from my cupped hands like you. )
 
I learned how to be a leader. 
Your example on committees and the frustrations that came with those responsibilities, yet still doing what is right.

I learned how important family is with the many trips to see your siblings, Mom’s California family, and your 11 years of traveling to Indiana.

I learned how to love, regardless.

I learned that you are never to old to learn new things.

The past 3 years you’ve learned lots about housekeeping and cooking.

I learned faith in God is the best thing in life.

Thanks for all the learning and the love.
Happy Father’s Day, Pops.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is golden...this could have been in the newspaper....did I send you the one that was in the newspaper here..written by a guy with Kansas roots titled Dad's few words were memorable?

    ReplyDelete