Wednesday, February 29, 2012

dust bowl days

last saturday and yesterday, tuesday were horrid.
the wind was excessive 40-60 mph winds and gusts.
in a land that is already beyond dry....this is a bad combination.

bird and i were at the farm doing stuff,
but dusting was not among it. 
that would have been useless.
honest to pete, the visibility was at times
less than 1/4th mile. 
we would look out the windows and it was 
brownish. could not see the sun due to the dirt.

and we both kept thinking...
"glad momma doesn't have to see this."

it's scarey to ponder future-wise.
if our little piece of America does not
get sufficient moisture soon my concern 
is a return to the dirty 30's. 
those were real.
it did happen.

as we headed home through the hills
yesterday we passed a field that has been 
blowing all winter. there was so much dirt that 
had sifted across the road it look like snow drifts.
and only half of the road was drive-able. 
plus still nearly impossible to see due to 
blowing dirt. 
last year dad participated in a session/discussion with
dust bowl survivors on whether the crp 
government programs were worth it.
was all that land that's been put into grass making a 
difference? 
yes, it is.
but we need rain, snow any type of moisture.

toss us in to your prayers please.
thanks.  

3 comments:

  1. I come from Texas and this past year we didn't get much rain. There were a lot of fires this past year in Texas. Now I'm in Florida and it rains almost every day AND on top of that, people water their grass (and streets) every day! I was amazed when we first arrived at the abundance of water over here. I hope you get rain soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want to watch The Grapes of Wrath. I hope you get rain soon. *as I watch it rain outside my window*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having studied the history of the dust bowl I just published a novel titled DIRT. I found it a little spooky when I started reading websites to promote the book and found so many instances and names that match the story in my book. I also met someone who's grandfather had an almost identical situation as my main character.
    My hats off to the people who survive this terrible time in our history.

    ReplyDelete