brown eyed handsome man and i have been
privileged to spend time with some grieving parents
for a few years. i've learned so much from them, and love
them all dearly. i know the loss of a child is different than
when other family members die. however, there are
many things in common too.
we've been discussing Understanding Your Grief
by Alan D. Wolfelt.
he has also published a list of grief rights.
1. i have the right to have my own unique
feelings about the death.
2. i have the right to talk about my grief
whenever i feel like talking.
3. i have the right to show my feelings
of grief in my own way.
4. i have the right to need other people to
help me with my grief, people who care about me.
5. i have the right to get upset
about normal everyday problems.
6. i have the right to have "griefbursts".
7. i have the right to use my beliefs about my
god to help me deal with my feelings of grief.
8. i have the right to try to figure out why
the person i loved died.
9. i have the right to think and talk about my
memories of the person who died.
10. i have the right to move toward and feel
my grief, and, over time, to heal.
we all grieve differently.
we all need to allow people that right.
and...
we need to give ourselves grace to mourn.
Dr. Wolfelt says mourning is grief gone public.
i've done some of that.
even when i tried not too.
just didn't want to upset my kids.
well...
that went out the window yesterday.
i am not ashamed to tell you i
lay down on my kitchen floor in pain.
i wailed, i sobbed, and wailed some more.
my kids were there beside me.
when i could, i sat up and talked to them
about mom's last day here on earth.
my grief had gone public, i was mourning.
and that is OKAY.
it is good to do.
if you are hurting,
let it out folks.
it's gonna come out one way or another.
i cried at physical therapy friday.
it hurts lots to get a shoulder back to moving..
compound that with my hearts ache. ack.
but they were great. just let me sob as i
needed to.
like most things in life,
mourning is a journey.
it isn't set in those misunderstood
stages of grief. those were written for a totally
different scenario. besides...mourning is not orderly,
it's messy. you will feel things more than once.
even years can pass by and grief will slap
you in the back of the head. it's just the way it is.
yes, i will be journaling about my mourning journey here, at times.
it's what i do. u can read along, or not...
i know i'm not the only one who's lost a mom.
but this is my journey and each persons is
different.
if my ramblings help you, hallelujah,.
rest assured...it does help me.
today i feel strong enough emotionally to
go to church. so i shall try.
deep breath...in ...out.
"be strong and take heart
all of you who hope in the Lord."
Psalm 31:24
"my hope is built on nothing less
than Jesus' blood and righteousness...
on Christ the solid rock i stand all
other ground is sinking sand.."
Janet, Your writing is always wonderful to read. You are sharing so much with the rest of the world and it is something that we all need to listen to to, to take in, to understand, to learn from. Thank you for this. And your mother's good-by: how perfectly wonderful. And so much just like her.
ReplyDeleteI liked the rules for grieving and mourning. We never study this in school and many of us have been sheltered from grief and mourning. These rules are good to know and good to discuss. How thoughtful of you to share.
My grief has always been private, so as not to burden others with my sadness. To be able to share grief with a loving family must be wonderful.
Much love, Stephanie
thanks Stephanie for your words of encouragement. Usually my grief is rather private for the same reason as you..to not burden others with my pain. However, I just had to let that out, and my kids did amazing. Such a gift they gave their momma. I still felt bad for mourning like that in front of them but they assure me they rather it be with them.
DeleteI really debated sharing that on this blog...but in the past others have mentioned that when I share the hard stuff, it's given them courage one way or another, so I stepped out, trusting God.
well said, momma
ReplyDeletei love you a bushel & a peck,
kate
This is a wonderful post. I too am grieving the loss of my dad even though he is still physically here...his mind is mostly gone. I miss him. His anger and outbursts are hard to watch. It is so not his "normal" character. My mom is sad and it grieves me. We cry and we celebrate the good moments of clarity that he has on occasion.
ReplyDeleteI was on of those grieving parents too. I walked a lot and talked to God constantly. Having a 2 yr old at the time kept me busy even wen I wanted to curl up and cry. I don't re-visit those days often.
oh, and the shoulder therapy is rough. I prayed scripture in my head many times during the grueling work. Did you have surgery? Or an injury? Praying for you. Hugs to you my friend!
Janie, in the short time I've "known" I feel blessed. How encouraging you have been. thank you. I am sorry you are traveling this journey with your dad. I've been reminding God to surround you and your family with His love in these hard days.You have lost your dad, the dad of your memories. I understand that for sure. Our sweet dad has some mild dementia due to Parkinsons, and he's not that strong man he always was. But we do have more clarity with him than its sounds like you do.
DeleteI am so very sorry you have a child that died. If at anytime you want to talk about it, I would love to listen.
as for this shoulder..torn rotator cuff happened due to a bone spur and life. Surgery on Nov 7th, though I hadn't used it much at all for many months, and certainly not over my head. Hence the extra pain, perhaps. I would love to hear the scriptures your prayed while in therapy. I was praying like crazy on Friday for sure. thanks friend, you bring joy to my life.